Monday, April 22, 2013

Gaming Weekend Prep Update

We're in the home stretch and I honestly haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked. I should get a little more hobby time this week than last, but still not much. We'll be getting started on Friday evening, and I have conflicting events Tuesday and Thursday. This gives me two nights to get as much done as possible.

Two ruins courtesy of dwez at Confessions of a 40k Addict
On my list of things to do is to at least base some scenery (as in glue it to MDF and maybe airbrush a base-coat) and then change my list to fit what I have at least assembled.

First off, for scenery, I have the two ruins pictured above nearly complete - I need to add a couple more card cutouts near the bottom and then glue to a square of MDF with some foamboard chunks. The templates came from dwez's collection of STCs, which provide some incredibly detailed layouts to recreate some of his beautiful scenery. 


For a relative scenery newb like myself, it's been pretty amazing to produce anything remotely approaching this level of detail and complexity. Before I found these, my ruins were probably going to be simply rough cut corners of foamboard with maybe some square windows. 

Remaining on the hit parade is another set of ruins from the template above and a defense line STC from dwez, the woods, and a couple hills. I also held back some tin cans and bottles from this weekend's trip to the dump, which I hope to cobble together to make a refinery/depot of some sort. This still isn't the amount of terrain I would like, but fortunately I'm not the only one providing some terrain, so we should have plenty come gametime.

As for my army's progress, I am still working on the Swarmlord, and it looks like I'll be lucky to get him done, let alone anything else. As such, I'm going to have to move my list around a little to field things I have at least assembled. Right now I'm thinking of the below list:

Swarmlord with Tyrant Guard
Flyrant
2 Zoanthropes
Deathleaper
Tervigon fully loaded
20 Devilgants in a Mycetic Spore
20 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs (will need to throw ~5 together)
7 Genestealers with Broodlord (The broodlord snaps together well enough to stand without glue, which is good since I'll want to paint him in pieces)
20 Gargoyles (10 don't have flying stands, so I may ditch these for 140 points of something else)
Trygon

This list is a little less ambitious in terms of at least having everything assembled. That said, I may be doing a good bit of model assembling for an alternative goal I have in mind. With the recent Tau release, all of us are a little excited about the fish-aliens and so, I might work on rough assembly of ~1,000 points of the Tau that I have so we can do a couple small battles using the new rules to really try them out. 

Regardless of how much I do or do not get done, I'm looking forward to the weekend and I'm actually enjoying the pressure it's putting on me to do some hobbying, particularly in terms of terrain building, and aspect of my collection I've seriously neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment