Friday, July 5, 2013

What to Bring, Part II

Apologies on the lack of updates this week - I was out of town and then hosting a July 4th get-together, which have delayed getting up more reports from last weekend.

Once again, it's time for my LGS's 1k tournament, and, once again, I'm debating what army to bring. This time I have a slightly clearer picture of what I want to bring. My initial thought was to bring my Orks. After the less that stellar performance of my Eldar last weekend, combined with my expectation that a fair percentage of anyone who showed this month would be fielding either Tau or Eldar, I didn't have a strong desire to run the Eldar again this time around.


I ran through two different versions of my Ork list. The first version had 5 Nobs in a Battlewagon, with another Battlewagon heavy support choice, and about 30 boyz in two squads. However, the list seemed a little small, so I dropped the nobs and battlewagons for more boyz. My current list looks something like this:

Warboss: 'Eavy Armor, Power Klaw, TL Shoota
Warphead
5 Lootas
5 Burnas
2 x 20 Boyz: 2 Big Shootas, Nob
12 Boyz: Big Shoota, Nob, Trukk w/ Red Paint Job
11 Boyz: Big Shoota, Nob, Trukk w/ Red Paint Job
DakkaJet: Extra TL Supa Shoota, Flyboss

The plan with this list would be to, more or less, yell Waaagh! often and try to have fun, playing around with the DakkaJet. That said, a couple things bother me about this plan. Firstly, these games are very short, and so reserves are even less reliable than normal, not to mention trying to deploy and move ~ 70 Boyz. Secondly, to some degree, I feel like bringing the Orks rather than the Eldar is somewhat an avoidance of the problems I had with them last weekend.

I don't like the idea that I'm considering fielding the Orks to avoid trying different things with the Eldar. As such, I'm considering going back with the Eldar and taking a full 1,000 point list, unlike the hybrid list I brought last month. With my impulsive purchases over the last month, I have enough to fill out the list, and maybe not with just Guardians. The list I'm considering is:

Farseer: Spiritstone of Anath'lan
Warlock: Singing Spear
Warlock
6 Fire Dragons: Exarch w/ Firepike, fast shot
2 x 10 Guardians: Starcannon
5 Dire Avengers: Exarch w/Shimmershield
6 Warp Spiders: Exarch w/Spinneret Rifle, Fast Shot, Marksman's Eye
Falcon: Scatter Laser, Holo Fields

As it is, the list is about 14 points light, leaving me a little wiggle room to add a guardian, take a Missile Launcher in one squad, or try something else. This list includes my newly acquired Fire Dragons, though I considered bringing 8 Swooping Hawks with an exarch instead (close to the same points). As it currently is, the Fire Dragons would be mounted up in the Falcon and used as a mobile fire base. Swapping them out for the Hawks would allow me to put the Dire Avengers in the Falcon and maybe give me a bit more mobility. Any thoughts on the above considerations?

Regardless of the finer details, at the moment of writing this, I'm leaning in the direction of fielding the Eldar and use the games as a learning experience. I'll expand on it more once we post up the battle report from last weekend's big game, but I will say that not much went as planned with my Eldar.

No comments:

Post a Comment