Wednesday, August 28, 2013

NOVA Bound: On the Road Again

Hello all! Just a quick post today before I hit the road. I leave tonight for NOVA, though I will be spending tomorrow working and enjoying some sights with family. As such, I wrapped up my efforts for getting my full 1,850 point army together. 



While not the greatest picture, this was right after I deemed the last units "done." They are practically three-color minimum because of time (I didn't even paint their teeth) and I am by no means happy with them long term, but they're done and shouldn't be so bad as to stand out. Eventually I will go back and add highlights to the skin, add another layer to the carapaces, and generally make them look a little nicer. 

I also finished up my hormagaunts a few days ago, and while they are only slightly further along than the above devilgants and biovores, they're still nicer than my old hormagaunts. 


I don't have any pictures, but I added a wooden frame to my display board, along with a wooden base to give it a bit more ruggedness. I think it looks good from a distance, but a couple of the sides didn't go together smoothly, leaving gaps in the corners. I kind of did the whole thing in a rush and backward (should have built the frame then put the foam into the frame, trimming as needed, then decorated the board, but live and learn), and it shows a bit, but no time to fix it unfortunately.

Also, in the last few days, I got some little packages in the mail, the first being a metal Pyrovore who made his way from China. I got him for practically nothing on eBay, so figured even if it was a fake, it wouldn't cost me too much. As best I can tell it's legitimate, the base certainly is. 


I also got a host of old second edition termagants, which are painted fairly well, if off from my scheme.


There's something about the old, big headed, hunched over old minis I find endearing.


Fourteen in all, and with five spike rifles, I like the idea of fielding a unit of the old guys, or using them to differentiate between tervigon spawns. While I like the paint job on them, I'll eventually strip them, along with some of my ancient, paint-caked ones to add the unit in the same scheme.

Even though I'm not completely happy with the quality of the things I've done in the last couple days, it was extremely relieving to announce myself done last night. I'm bringing some paints and supplies with me in case I get a few minutes for touch ups before the tournament starts on Friday, but it's nice knowing I don't have to do anything else.

I'm off to NOVA!

No comments:

Post a Comment