Monday, August 11, 2014

Space Wolf List Building 1850- 7th Edition

What's up everyone? With the new Space Wolf Codex, I have been thinking about as many different lists as possible trying to figure out what style I like, what appeals to me, and what I want in my list. I love the fact there are options for every type of player, every type of style, and probably one of the more unique ally types.


For me, this is all Wolves. I have put together a Wolves Unleashed Detachment. I will explain my reasoning, but this is a list that plays on the traditional army style of the Space Wolves.
First, this is an 1850 army that does not contain a Lord of War.  So there will be no Logan Grimnar in this list. Instead I have gone for a hard hitting army that can bring the noise fast and hard to different parts of the battlefield. This is a list similar to that of my 5th edition 1850 list.


The Army Looks like:

  • HQ:
    • Harald Deathwolf: 2 Wolves
    • Wolf Guard: Runic Armor, Storm Shield, Frost Sword
    • Wolf Priest: Terminator Armo
  • Troops:
    • 5 Grey Hunters: Meltagun, Wolf Guard with Combi-Melta, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
    • 5 Grey Hunters: Meltagun, Wolf Guard with Combi-Melta, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
    • 5 Grey Hunters: Meltagun, Wolf Guard with Combi-Melta, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
  • Fast Attack:
    • 3 Thunderwolves: 3 Storm Shields
    • Stormwolf: TL Multi-Melta
  • Elites: 
    • Murderfang: Drop Pod
    • 5 Wolf Guard Terminators: Assault Cannon, 3 TH/SS
  • Heavy Support:
    • 5 Long Fangs: 4 Missile Launchers w/Flakk Missiles

As you can see, the list is built around equal points across the army. With 3 minimum Troops with meltas in drop pods and Murderfang, I can bring 2 Drop Pods in where I need them turn 1, and turn 2 I can have my other two drop pods and my Storm Wolf coming in to deliever the hit where I need. I can also Deep Strike the Terminators with the Wolf Priest (Fearless/Oath/FNP 6+) onto any part of the battle field or bring them in the Storm Wolf.  The Wolf Guard Battle Leader can go in any of the pods or ride with the Storm Wolf. Harald Deathwolf and the Thunderwolves can either start on the field or come in by outflank.  


The beauty of this list is that I can re-roll (if Harlad isn't the Warlord) on the Warlord table, and I also roll a D6 for each unit; on a 6+ I can Outlank the unit if I want to. Plus after turn 1, I can choose to bring in whichever reserved unit I want (1 per turn) and that unit automatically comes in. This means I can tailor make my army on the fly with what I need in reaction to what is on the field, what is coming on, and where the danger is.

This list has everything I need to do work on the battle field.

So what do you think?  Is it well rounded, is it lacking, or can it be effective in a variety of settings?


The Wolves have teeth, and I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment